Monday, April 11, 2011

I like being nice....competition...no worries!!!!!!!!


Ok, so I get alot of emails...some nice...some not so nice (yes, I have haters, but it's ok) from other photographers, moms, etc, asking me advice on how I shoot, what I shoot, how I edit, etc, etc! I'm totally flattered and believe me, I don't feel like I'm on a level to be answering questions but I totally do my best!!! I wish I could answer every question and even take you guys up on the lunch offers, etc but I just don't have enough time in the day! (but anyway, that's another story, lol)

Ok, so get back on track Julie...sorry...I ramble...I know...lol!

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that lately I've been offering some workshops and believe it or not, I've gotten alot of backlash from others saying that why would offer to "teach" someone my ways when they are my competition!

So...here's my thoughts on the matter...I have no competition! Seriously...I totally feel that way! I can teach someone how I shoot, how I edit, but I can't teach someone to be me...it's that simple! No one owns a "pose" no one owns a "theme"...photography is art and even though some may try to imitate, no one can truly copy another's work because THEY CAN NEVER SEE THE SAME WAY I SEE IT!!! It has taken me a bit to realize that and the light has come on!!! Whew...I feel so much better now!

So, it's ok to get inspiration from others, it's ok to ask questions...I do all the time...sometimes I get answers, sometimes I don't and I move on! I've been so inspired by Jasmine Star lately...she totally puts herself out there, she teaches, she shares and she doesn't feel threatened at all! She is still booking because people want HER...end of story!

So, with that said, I will totally keep offering workshops...and yes, I do have to charge for my workshops but let me clarify why...

First, my cost is really low when compared to others who are teaching (I'm not saying they are right or wrong, everyone has their reasons and their level of skill, everyone is different) but I'm new at this, and I feel that at this time, I really just need to charge in order to recoup what I would make that day during the sessions.

Secondly, I don't charge my "models" for the session but I still shoot them and I edit and give them the images, another reason why I charge those who attend the workshop...photography is my full-time job...it is not a hobby, it is not "fun" money...it supports my family and pays my bills...it would be like asking you take a day off without pay to talk and hang out all day...I don't think many of you could do that!

And lastly...I have worked hard to get where I am...it was NOT just handed to me...I practiced, I researched, I spent alot of money doing workshops myself (and I'm still attending them btw, I have one scheduled in June) I really feel that if you have to sacrifice to make something happen, you appreciate it sooo much more!

So, please understand when I say this, and while I'm happy to answer basic questions, I cannot hold your hand and constantly answer each and every photography and editing question...I'm totally a nice person and I would love too but I there is just not enough time in the day! If you are wanting to become a better photog, I totally suggest a workshop (and not necessary from me) but I will be offering them at least once a month and I do share what I've learned...I'm really happy to do so!

My next "beginning" workshop is April 30th and I do still have a few spots available. I will be setting up 2 workshops in May, one "newborn" (for more advanced photogs) on May 7th and one "beginning" workshop on May 28th for those who want to learn to shoot manual and basic posing and editing. The cost is $250 and is only offered to 6 people. I would love to have you attend! I received very positive feedback from past "students" and I'm sure they would be happy to tell you all about it if you have any questions!

Again...I want to stress that I don't think that I've "arrived"! Do I still have a TON to learn, YES! Do I still do things wrong, YES! Do I know everything about posing, lighting, editing...NO WAY! But, I do have a love for what I do and God has blessed me so much...it's only fair to give back...life is so much better that way...

xoxo,
Julie

8 comments:

  1. I love this!! I completely agree 200%....thanks for being "nice" ...there are still some of us that appreciate everyones skills and talent even though we share the same career path! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3rd paragraph from the end....you took the words right out of my mouth! Way to go, Julie...I admire your spirit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! you are awesome and i love you! i learned SO much in my first class... can't wait to do another~

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks sooooo much for posting this! :) i have to remind myself exactly what you said. there is no competition. you get booked because of who "you" are. i wish we all could shoot all the haters thru a canon to haterville. ugh! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been following you from SLO for a while now. You photographed one of my friend's weddings and I fell in love with your style. I completely agree with your outlook. Even when people have similar styles they have their own signature on it. If you live your life completely guarded and look at everyone as competition, it gets exhausting. It is just not worth it. I applaud you and look forward to taking one of your workshops when I can afford it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, when I attended your newborn workshop, (great picture up there by the way) I was blown away by how you went out of your way to make us feel at ease. You encouraged us to ask anything we wanted and you were so willing to share what you know with us! I learned so much and I truly appreciate your insight and candor! Thank you for being you!

    -Dez

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well said. :) As a fellow photographer I completely agree. Its fair game for anyone who wants to take it on. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete